P-51 Man O'War Southern California Wing
|Manufacturer||North American Aviation|
|Power||1 × Packard V-1650-7 liquid-cooled V-12, with a 2 stage intercooled supercharger, 1,490 hp|
|Length||32 ft 3 in|
|Height||13 ft 4½ in|
|Wingspan||37 ft 0 in|
|Range||1,650 mi with external tanks|
Our P-51D Mustang, tail number 44-72739, was built in the North American Aircraft factory in Inglewood, California on February 15, 1945 and was shipped to the fighter pool at Stanstead, England in March of that year. Too late to see combat in WWII, 44-72739 was returned to the US and assigned to the New Jersey National Guard.
P-51D 44-72739 was reclaimed by US Air Force in 1950 for service in the Korean War but again did not see any combat action. It was returned to National Guard duty until declared as surplus and auctioned in 1956.
The North American Aviation P-51 Mustang is an American long-range, single-seat fighter and fighter-bomber used during World War II, the Korean War and other conflicts. The Mustang was designed in 1940 by North American Aviation (NAA) in response to a requirement of the British Purchasing Commission. The Purchasing Commission approached North American Aviation to build Curtiss P-40 fighters under license for the Royal Air Force (RAF). Rather than build an old design from another company, North American Aviation proposed the design and production of a more modern fighter.