PT-17 Stearman Dixie Wing
Peachtree City, GA
|Manufacturer||Stearman Aircraft / Boeing|
|Power||1 × Continental R-670-5 seven-cylinder air-cooled radial engine, 220 hp|
|Length||24 ft 9 in|
|Height||9 ft 8 in|
|Wingspan||32 ft 2 in|
The Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Dixie Wing Warbird Museum has acquired a Stearman (Boeing) PT-17 (Model 75) biplane formerly used by the military as a primary trainer aircraft in the 1930s and 1940s. The Wing plans to restore the airplane with the talents of the Wing’s volunteer mechanics and other members. More than 10,600 Model 75s were built and used by the U.S. Army Air Corps, The U.S. Navy (as the NS and N2S) and the Royal Canadian Air Force (as the Kaydet) throughout World War II.
“The Stearman is one of the most iconic trainers of World War II, utilized in the primary training stage in which pilot candidates took to the air,” said Dixie Wing Leader Jim Buckley. “We think this will thrill many aviation and World War II enthusiasts when it is restored to flying condition.” This aircraft was accepted by the Navy on July 9, 1941. It was assigned to the Naval Air Station (NAS) at Corpus Christi, Texas, and was transferred to Naval Reserve Aviation Base (NRAB) in Detroit, Michigan, on April 9, 1942. Its next assignment was to Naval Air Intermediate Training (NAIT) at Rodd Field, Corpus Christi, Texas, on April 1, 1944. The aircraft was assigned to the pool in Dallas in November 1944 until it was stricken from the record on Nov. 30,1944. This aircraft bears serial number 75-1308, USN Bu No. 3531, and FAA Registry number N50329. Stearman Aircraft Corporation, based in Wichita, Kansas, became a subsidiary of Boeing in 1934.
The Stearman (Boeing) Model 75 is a biplane used as a military trainer aircraft, of which at least 10,626 were built in the United States during the 1930s and 1940s. Stearman Aircraft became a subsidiary of Boeing in 1934. Widely known as the Stearman, Boeing Stearman or Kaydet, it served as a primary trainer for the United States Army Air Forces, the United States Navy (as the NS & N2S), and with the Royal Canadian Air Force as the Kaydet throughout World War II. After the conflict was over, thousands of surplus aircraft were sold on the civilian market. In the immediate postwar years they became popular as crop dusters, sports planes, and for aerobatic and wing walking use in air shows.