BT-13A Capital Wing
Our aircraft was manufactured at the Downey, CA plant and was delivered to the USAAC in November 1942 where it was used in basic pilot training at Shaw Field, SC. After the war it was transferred to the Civil Air Patrol in California. They modified the engine by replacing the standard BT-13 Pratt & Whitney R-985 with the 600 hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340. The cowling was also modified to cover the bigger engine. The Civil Air Patrol used the BT-13 to patrol the west coast until the late 60’s.
In 1970, the BT-13 was purchased by Frederick Walker, Sr. Frederick Walker had flown B-17’s in World War II and then spent the rest of his career flying missions for the CIA. He served in the Viet Nam conflict. He became an instructor for many types of aircraft that were used by the CIA in their Air America operation. Walker was also the chief pilot for Air America, based in Vientiane, Thailand. He flew the BT-13 just for fun when he spent his summers in Fryeburg, Maine.
Capt. Walker passed away on Feb, 14 1999 and his family requested that his BT-13 be sold to an organization that would still keep it flying.
The National Capital Squadron (Capital Wing) purchased the aircraft in July 2000. We have returned it to its original USAAC colors and were pleased to find that the original instruments from 1942 are still in the aircraft. We are proud and honored to show this warbird to the public as we continue restoration and preservation efforts.