L-5 FloriBama Wing
Pensacola International Airport (PNS), Pensacola, FL
|Power||1 × Lycoming O-435-1, 185hp|
|Length||24 ft 1 in|
|Height||7 ft 11 in|
|Wingspan||34 ft 0 in|
The Stinson OY-1 Sentinel is a two-seat World War II-vintage observation aircraft. Nearly 3,500 were built making it the second most widely used Army Air Corps liaison aircraft.
The aircraft served in European and Asian theaters and with the Marines in the Pacific. It continued service in the Korean War but was replaced by other aircraft and helicopters in 1955. With short field takeoff and landing capability, the OY-1 performed reconnaissance, artillery spotting and aerial ambulance duties. It delivered supplies, could lay communications wire, rescued Allied personnel in remote areas and even flew missions as a light bomber.
This particular Stinson OY-1 Sentinel was accepted by the U.S. Army in May 1943. It later served with the U.S. Coast Guard for rescue and liaison duties. The aircraft was sold as surplus and passed through several civilian owners before starting its new career with the Commemorative Air Force and the Old Dominion Squadron in 1998.
History of Stinson L-5 Sentinel 42-15060
27 May 1943: Delivered to the United States Army Air Force, serial number 42-15060 June 1943: Transferred to Alexandria, LA (Camp Beauregard, Esler Field and Pollock Field) July 1943: Transferred to Camp Polk, LA June 1944: Transferred to 358th AAF Base Unit, Statesboro, GA December 1944: Transferred to the 350th AAF Base Unit, DeRidder Field, LA February 1945: Transferred to the 384th AAF Base Unit, Lafayette Field, LA October 1945: Transferred to the 138th AAF Base Unit, Lake Charles Field, LA December 1945: Transferred to the 2621st AAF Base Unit, Barksdale Field, LA February 1946: Transferred to the 62nd AAF Base Unit, Andrews Field, MD June 1946: Transferred to the 1st AAF Base Unit, Bolling Field, D.C. August 1946: Transferred to Army Ground Forces, Rome Field, NY December 1946: Transferred to Bolling Field, D.C. March 1948: Transferred to the 16th Maintenance Squadron, Bolling AFB, D.C. July 1948: Transferred to the 1100th Maintenance and Supply Squadron, Bolling AFB, D.C. August 1948: Transferred to the 4141st AF Base Unit, Pyote AFB, TX 9 September 1948: First of seven L-5s transferred to the the United States Coast Guard with Bureau Number 5060 as a OY-1. Operated out of CGAS Elizabeth City, NC 24 February 1959: Registered as N9315H 21 April 1970: Apparently sold to new owner 6 September 1988: Sold to Robert Coffin of Pawling, NY 23 January 1998: Sold or donated to the Commemorative Air Force 10 October 2015: Operated by the Commemorative Air Force-Old Dominion Squadron, Franklin Municipal-John Beverly Rose Airport, Franklin, VA 5 August 2019: Operated by the Commemorative Air Force FloriBama Wing, Pensacola, FL